For us to even consider making clothing as art and as a small business, we needed to make sure that we could do it in line with our strong Earth First values.
- We believe in keeping all things as local as possible, reducing travel miles and contributing to local econimies.
- Organic, natural and biodegradable materials are always our first choice and we pride ourselves in sourcing the best of the best.
- We are committed to producing no fabric or packaging waste. Quite a feat in the fashion world, but one we believe is possible and should be the standard.
- Every piece we make is designed and built to last. Materials and construction are centred around garment longevity, functionality and versatility.
We are super proud to say that all of our organic base stretch fabrics are made right here in Australia. ABMT is a fully certified processor of Organic Cotton knits under the guidance of Australian Certified Organic (ACO) with all fibre, dyes and auxiliaries being GOTS certified.
The Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) is the worldwide leading textile processing standard for organic fibres. They include ecological and social criteria that is backed up by independent certification of the entire textile supply chain. You can find out more on the GOTS website. GOTS certification applies to our organic cotton stretch base fabrics and our textile inks are also GOTS compliant.
All of our fabrics are screen printed by hand by the lovely husband and wife duo that is Printink Studio. Founded in 2005, Printink Studio has long championed the artisan skill of hand-screen printing and worked closely, mainly commissioned base with likeminded fashion labels, designers and artists from their paint splattered studio in Collingwood, Melbourne.
Our specific earthy colour palette is mixed in studio using GOTS approved and Oeko-Tex certified inks. This means they're safe to use on all skin types, even the most delicate of skin. Our inks are Australian made in a factory that is 100% powered by renewable solar energy.
Our inks do not contain ozone-depleting chemcials such as CFCs, HCFCs, aromatic hydrocarbons or volatile solvents. They do not contain any toxic chemicals at all and carry Organic Approval by the Soil Association. Our inks are also vegan and not tested on animals.
Art is about connection. To subject matter, to story, to process, to materials, to self and to community. From this place our ethics and commitments to the enviroment are a solid base from which Dalee creates her handmade paper releif prints.
- All papers are made using local recycled office waste and other used paper materials.
- All plants used for colour and infusion are organically homegrown or responsibly foraged or sourced.
- Inks used are Cranfieild caligo safe-wash, non-toxic, vegetable oil based inks that clean up with soap and water.
- Carving blocks are made from natural and biodegradable materials - Silk Cut lino is made from ecologically friendly renewable raw materials such as cork, linseed oil, limestone, resin and wood flour. The natural raw materials that make up Silk Cut linoleum are harvested from sustainable crops.
- All prints are packaged and sent in protective, recycled, plastic free, compostable materials.
Paper making is a large part of Dalee's practice as a printmaker. She began learning the art of making artisan papers after she felt a disconnection to the source, materials and makers of commercial supplies. As a long term student of permaculture, she wanted to utilise any local used paper and divert it from waste while developing even deeper relationships with the plants she grows by using them as colour and botanical additions to her handmade papers. Developing relationships to each part of her process is fundamental to Dalees practice.
We are committed to creating slow art without compromising our ethics and values. Check out our new collection.